Monday, February 3, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Stavanger “Far From Silence, Close to Violence” (Pinmusik)

http://stavanger.bandcamp.com/
http://prettyinnoise.bandcamp.com/album/stavanger-far-from-silence-close-to-violence

               It seems to me that more often than not, I hear about these instrumental bands that are called post-rock and they are made out to be, in many ways, the second coming of Nirvana.  Now I fully understand that as a press person/label owner/whatever you’re going to like the music and want to hype it up.  Why wouldn’t you?  I don’t think I’ve seen someone promote an album by just saying it was “all right”.

                My problem is that a certain band comes to mind right away when I think of bands that are instrumental post-rock that are supposed to be so great but when I listen to them they just make me bored and leave me underwhelmed at best.

                Along with sounding like Cloud Nothings, Stavanger has shown what a band that is post-rock should sound like, at least to me.  You know, all that hype made about other bands I won’t mention has certainly never lived up for me, but this is exactly what I’ve felt like those bands should sound like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment