Monday, February 24, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Panda Kid “Summetry” (Already Dead)

http://alreadydeadtapes.bandcamp.com/album/ad107-panda-kid-summetry-lp

                I went back and forth on this review a number of times because I kept trying to figure out what this sounded like exactly.   There is this certain sound that I should be able to place, but I just can’t.  It’s like it’s sitting on the tip of my tongue and I just want to type, “Yes, they sound like _____”

                But I can’t come up with something that easily.  I hear bits and pieces of something along the lines of The (International) Noise Conspiracy and Tora Tora Torrance, what with the indie rock that’s upbeat, tinny and the vocals come through distorted.

                As much as they might sound like that sort of fuzzy pop rock something or other with pieces of punk, the fact is that can all change quickly.   There are also songs that draw on the influence of The Breakfast Club mixed with Pretty in Pink.

                Sure, Gina hears “Take On Me” at the beginning of one of the songs, but I don’t hear it.   All I hear are the sweet sounds of heavy fuzz rock on “To the Tramp”.   And maybe some spots of Superdrag. 


No comments:

Post a Comment