Friday, January 10, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: The Muttering Retreats “The Letter Tape”


                This was originally released on cassette but has since sold out, so I downloaded it for free.  I thought it was something from either late 2013 or early 2014, but checking the Band Camp would inform me that this is in fact from April… of 2007.   Whoa.  How did I stumble across something that’s almost seven years old now?

                My only guess is that while it was recorded back in ’07 it probably didn’t make its way to The BC until recently.    Either that or I blame the “cassette” tag because that can pull stuff up from back when cassettes had their first go around.

                Musically, this album is all over the place, but I still like it.  From an 8bit band like Space Boyfriend to The White Stripes, this is rock with strings and even folk punk at times.  Additionally, the vocals at certain times appear to be chopped up and spit back into the mix of things creating some sort of new language. 

                Being from 2007, I’d say that this was ahead of its time back then.   But even in what is now 2014, this still seems to be way ahead of its time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment