Friday, October 25, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Russian Circles “Memorial”

                Though I’ve reviewed Russian Circles before, I can never remember what they’re going to sound like when I hear them again.   Much like Minus the Bear and a few other bands, I always think of them as an instrumental post rock/indie rock type of outfit that could border on math rock.   Yet, oddly, right now off the top of my head I cannot think of any bands that actually do sound like that.

                In any event, Russian Circles is actually a fairly heavy band, so much so that I would call them either post metal or just strictly hardcore.  They are instrumental, I got that part right, but I just never think they’re going to rock this hard when I put their songs on.

                Perhaps a more fitting name for this band would be something combining the ideas of not singing with a metal sounding name in general.   Suicide Silence would be a fitting name, though I think that might already belong to another band.

                If they wanted to embrace the art side of the metal, they could always be something like “Left With Everything Except Our Tongues” or to be straight up metal I’d call them Scream Blood or Spit Blood because if you sang without a tongue, in the sense that if it was just cut out…


                Okay, enough with the naming.  This album does just flat out rock.  Heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment