Tuesday, September 24, 2013

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Locrian “Return to Annihilation”

             When people think of ambient music, they rarely probably think of this.   It combines the darker tones of ambient that push toward post rock and even metal.  In many ways, it reminds me of Her Stem Spirals, but it has a quality to it that makes it distinguished still.

            If anything, the way I heard people rant and rave about the band Deafhaven I was expecting their CD to sound like this.   Deafhaven isn’t even in the same league as Locrian though, in terms of originality, crossing genres and having the appeal to the veteran writer such as myself who feels he’s heard everything before.

            Some of these songs can get pretty lengthy, but when listening you barely notice.  It’s the same way with a lot of metal bands (A Perfect Murder popped into my head for some reason) so perhaps I am just used to it.


            If I was going to create a year-end awards for music (Not saying I will or won’t), I would definitely put this album under “Best Dark Ambient Album of 2013”.   Goth people should listen to this as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment