Tuesday, September 24, 2013

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Colleen Green “Sock It To Me”

                To me, I’ve always felt that when you think of garage rock it was a man’s world.  I look to Hunx and Nobunny and see the majority of bands coming out of garages sounding like them and thus having male vocals.  If you want to break it down, you can find the female equal to Hunx in Shannon and the Clams, but that’s neither here nor there.
                Colleen Green has an interesting take on music.  Drum machine beats with garage guitar rock and female vocals that make me think of The Murmurs.  Sometimes the bass lines even remind me of some old MxPx song.

                Clearly in a class all her own and without peer, Colleen Green even rises above that of some of her comparisons that can be of the opposite sex.  A song such as “You’re So Cool” can channel a song like “Buddy Holly” by Weezer, but it does it in such a better way that I like the Colleen Green song better.

                How many people will read that last sentence as me comparing Colleen Green to Buddy Holly?

                Last year, around this time maybe a little after, I found Colleen Green via Burger Records or something and so I listened to a few of her songs from Spotify Radio (Long story that starts and ends with me being kicked out of a house that did not have wifi) and had made notes about liking them.

                But I never really remembered much about the music some months later when I first started listening to “Sock It To Me” on the real Spotify.  I always just thought of her as being something like Shannon and the Clams and couldn’t remember the lyrics to any of those songs but just them being about Milo going to college or something.


                So naturally hearing this album was like hearing Colleen Green for the first time.   Though so far, as I’ve played this numerous times, I’m still kind of shocked by how good it is for some reason when I put it on.  I’m not sure why, but I always have lower expectations going into listening this than how good it actually is.   This is a delightful surprise though.

No comments:

Post a Comment