Sunday, August 4, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Chris Cappello “Could Be Bitter Forever”

                Moving back to Connecticut does have its advantages:  It helped me to find this CD on Band Camp, which I may not have otherwise found had I not been searching by my new(est) location.   Yes, this comes up under folk punk as well, but I never would’ve clicked on it under folk punk because I’d figure it was just some angry guy with an acoustic guitar and I have enough of that in my life right now.

                The first thing you need to know about Chris Cappello is that he’s got a band.   This isn’t the solo type project I dreaded at one time, but rather something like a collective to the point where they could have a name like The Mr. T Experience or Chris Cappello and the Heartbreakers.   Why don’t they?  It’s not important.
                As you may have guessed from the title, these are not the happy kind of love songs.  Cappello takes you on a personal journey of struggle and just in general not liking people.   From relationships gone bad in love to just not wanting to leave the house and see other people, these lyrics have it all for those who are anti-social.

                The music naturally comes off as that down trodden rock n roll mixed with indie rock.   Think Social Distortion meets Bayside meets Daniel Johnston meets I Am the Avalanche meets Say Anything.

                Really, when listening to music, I can overlook the lyrics not being so good if the music absolutely rocks.  Likewise, I can compensate the music lacking by exceptional lyrics.   “Could Be Bitter Forever” has both exceptional lyrics and absolutely rocks so you have no reason not to be listening to it all day, every day.


                Also, you should really follow Chris Cappello onTwitter.   Even if you don’t have a Twitter account, you should join it just to read his qualms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment