Friday, July 12, 2013

CD REVIEW: Her Royal Harness “The Hunting Room” (Manufacture)

                Her Royal Harness, an obvious bit of wordplay, has an electronic sound that is unlike many that I have heard before.   They bring out a lot of Everything But the Girl, sure, but they are not a carbon copy of that band by any means.
                HRH takes the electro-pop-rock type of music sound one step further than someone such as, say, Kimbra or Metric, but doesn’t quite push the boundaries as far to the deep end of the pool where Deerhoof and Ladytron play.
                The songs can become somewhat trippy and even pick up pace by the end.   My wife commented that she wanted to start playing this album in the mornings when getting ready, which I take to mean that it has a certain level of energy that can inspire energy in others.
                On the whole, from start to finish, there isn’t anything that I can particularly find wrong with these songs and they are quite pleasing.   However, there also isn’t anything that really stands out to me about this band other than their ability to teeter between two different spectrums of electro boogie.  
                The fact that no particular song stands out to me as being my favorite or among my favorite does concern me to an extent, but not enough to detour from listening to this album and enjoying it still.

No comments:

Post a Comment