Friday, July 12, 2013

CD REVIEW: Eric and Magill "Night Singers"

            During the first song on this album, I inevitably found myself thinking that this was going to be yet another in a long line of clone bands that wish to remind me why I listen to neither Neon Trees nor Phoenix.   The first track has that quality of a band such as those (I’m still not quite sure what genre those bands belong, but it’s not like I care) but it is also mixed with something like Modest Mouse, which in many ways is what saved me from being completely sour on it from the opening.

            As we continue our musical journey together, the album progresses into some mellow numbers as well as some acoustic sounding songs which resemble a band more like The Beatles or let’s say Radiohead circa “Ok Computer”.  

            Needless to say, if you were to judge this entire album based on the first song, you might not like it.   It’s not that the first song is bad, but if I did hear only that single I probably would not have been interested in a full length album and merely written them off as a Phoenix clone.   Which would be sad (and inaccurate) because Eric and Magill are so much more than that.


            In order to properly assess this album yourself, listen to this album from start to finish.   And then listen to it again.  I do believe that you will like it so long as you are not quick to write it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment