Friday, April 5, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: The Illegal Wiretaps “Psycho Nancy”

The Illegal WiretapsPsycho Nancy
                When I write about The Illegal Wiretaps, I like to make mention that they have two different styles of music that they make, though if you want to break it down even further they have some subgenres even of those two styles.   Sometimes their music can be electric with vocals, but for the most part you’re either going to get an instrumental electronic album or an album that is acoustic with a rusty guitar and has vocals.   My theory about different albums of theirs trading off that way is great until I heard this album and realized that they trade off on that rusty acoustic sound to the instrumental electronic sound on a track-by-track basis.
                The one amusing note about this though is that the acoustic parts do remind me of Johnny Cash while the instrumental songs can remind me of the industrial style of Nine Inch Nails.    Odd Fact:  I have listened to the Johnny Cash version of “Hurt” more times than I have listened to the original and, yes, I was in more of my youth when that song was playing on the radio (I was sixteen or seventeen, I don’t recall the exact year off the top of my head)
                With a name like “Psycho Nancy” you know this song is going to those dark places, so let’s just get right into it.  “Too Much to Take” is just an all around great song, but possibly only for someone who has ever felt so overwhelmed that it has lead to them being checked into a psychiatric hospital.    My favorite song is without a doubt the title track.   It just screams Top 40 Radio.    And if Johnny Cash was still alive, he would definitely find and cover “Pill Bottle Blues”.   Take that to your grave.  
                Oh, and for instrumental songs, “Kill Me, Then Kill Yourself” is among my favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment