Thursday, March 7, 2013

SBSR: Do No Harm / The Measure Of split EP

Do No Harm / The Measure Of split EP
[Editor’s Note: The first two of these songs are by Do No Harm and the last two are by The Measure Of.  This was downloaded from the Band Camp of Do No Harm.   You can also download it from the Band Camp of The Measure Of, in which event the songs just show up backwards: 3/4/1/2]
<1> “Sick of Living” – This has a heavy rock kind of sound to it in a punk way almost like Rise Against, but the vocals get all screamy which is interesting.   I definitely like the heaviness of this song and as a sign to come of what I’m in store for with the next songs.   I can definitely feel the As Cities Burn reference.   We’re getting some far away screaming vocals before kicking back in.   This is just a beautiful song. 
<2> “Unwilling to Live” – This kicks in nice and heavy.  I’m thinking Hope Conspiracy here because I hear “Hope Bound Heart” come out right away.   Now we have another quiet breakdown.  I like these parts as it adds more emphasis to when it kicks in.   This is just heavy, screeching and angry.  I really like it.  “How could you let this happen?”  Good point.   The first song, by the way, was almost five minutes and this song is just over six, so we’re getting some nice pieces here in terms of length.   Right around the three minute mark we end up in a musical breakdown that just goes to show you this band knows how to play their instruments.   It’s been a minute and I’m waiting for it to come back in hard.   Two minutes and still no comeback.  Apparently they’re taking the mewithoutYou route and going out on this instrumental wave.
<3> “One Phrase” – This comes on nicely.  Not too hard and not too soft.  Then the vocals come in very much like mewithoutYou in the spoken/screamed way.  Based on the lyrics alone, I already like this band.  It really does remind me of mewithoutYou, but that’s not a bad thing.  You’re contents definition!
<4> “Amo Te” – We seamlessly move into this song.  There is a strain in his voice and it is hoarse.  I saw a genre on Band Camp today while browsing called “horror”.  I didn’t click on it, but this could fit in that if it’s what I think it is.  This music could inspire nightmares, though it does seem like he’s screaming out my nightmares so I’m not really affected by it.   And this song will close out the split on some music and strange noises that sound like winds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment