Thursday, March 7, 2013

SBSR: Boxed Wine “Cheap, Fun EP”

Boxed WineCheap, Fun EP
<1> “Bones” – I already love the opening guitar riff on this song.  And now it kicks into the vocals and fuzzy sound I remember from this band from before.    The chorus kicks in with somewhat of a ska rhythm, but it also has that kind of annoying poppy sound of Neon Trees, so I don’t know.   It’s got a nice guitar part going on (kind of like Franz Ferdinand) which covers up enough of the Neon Trees sound for this to not be bad, but yeah; it’s something between those Neon Trees/Phoenix type of bands and Franz Ferdinand.   Oddly, it’s a combination that’s somehow working for me.   The musical complexity of it must just be getting to me.
<2> “Boomerang” – Now here we start with the guitar chords and vocals, which are kind of like The Police but definitely not the same as the first song.   It’s more into those bluesy sorts of rock songs which don’t sound as much like pop.   I like the idea of the boomerang comparison in the lyrics, by the way.  This also really reminds me of Edna’s Goldfish for some reason.   I need to note that.   Now I also hear some Black Keys coming out, but not enough to turn me off.   It has been a long day. 
<3> “Dayglow (Why Can’t We Stay)” – This has that kind of climbing guitar riff that resembles the first song more than the second, but it’s still very upbeat and fast so you can’t really help but tap your foot or nod your head to it.   “We fell in love next to the fire / She feels in love ‘cause he’s such a liar” – Awesome.   The lyrics in this song are really right on.   Apparently, they have saved the best for last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment