Thursday, February 21, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Slanted Clouds “Heart & Soul”

Slanted CloudsHeart & Soul
<1> “Baroque Opening” – This is a nice piano and drums sound that reminds me of a commercial I once saw for Focus Features. 
<2> “Owls Dance at Night When the Sun Comes Up” – This song turned acoustic in a hurry.   And here come the vocals.  It’s definitely not your typical singer/songwriter type of crap though, so it scores points for that right off.   And near 2:30 we’re transmitting this message to space.    It’s been going for a while too without vocals, and of course as I begin typing that the vocals come back with the titular line. 
<3> “The Blackwood Church” – This is actually electric and has some alien sounds in it.   And now it’s got pianos and beats.   It reminds me of the first song more than the second so far.  I have no other band to compare it to though, which is a good thing.  The cymbals!!!
<4> “Karelian Ritournelle” – So apparently this is going to be like The Illegal Wiretaps in the sense that an acoustic song with vocals is okay on the same album as a bunch of instrumental electronic songs.  I’m digging it still.  I can wait until the next album for an electronic song with vocals. 
<5> “Celestial Burns” – Well, this has pianos and the acoustic guitar.  [Radiohead Ok Computer era reference here]  Here come vocals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment