Friday, June 15, 2012

SBSR: Music for Headphones “Only Angry Lies EP”

Music for HeadphonesOnly Angry Lies EP”
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
<1> “Only Angry Lies” – The guitar notes start like Silverchair, but nothing else is like that band.   We get some Rolling Stones-ish vocals that are between singing and spoken word. 
<2> “10,000ft Until the Queen” – There is a version of this song on one of the demo CDs as well.   This has static vocals that are deeper and darker sounding than the Rolling Stones comparison in the first song.  We have this sort of melodic pop rock sound going on, but on top of it are these distorted chords that come through like waves   It’s quite interesting. 
<3> “Jennifer” – This opens with the static and distortion I love, then goes into a soft Police-like guitar note melody.   It’s turned into this very soulful rock with a woman singing who reminds me of Billie Holiday only not. 
<4> “Tambourine Dream” – This song is rocking with more vocals like in the second song.
<5> “Wait” – We’re off to a slower start, but this is a longer song.   It’s got some cool little beeps in it. 
                I first heard Music for Headphones on a whenthesunhits compilation and I fell in love.  I think you will too.
Recommended Downloading Level:  3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment