Thursday, May 24, 2012

SBSR: Ian McKinney “Ms Pain”

Ian McKinneyMs Pain
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
<1> “Tomorrow” – Definite synth and drum machine feel to this song.  The vocals sound like they’re being filtered through that T-Pain microphone.   This song has a definite 1980’s sound to it.  It’s almost like the “Same as it Ever Was” song, but not.
<2> “1007 Romeria” – Somewhat poppy, somewhat like the Monster Mash.   I’m pretty sure that this song is about vampires, but who knows.   The vocals get incredibly high during the chorus.  It’s a step up from the first song, in terms of coming into the now, but it definitely could be from the 1990’s. 
<3> “Working for the Lord” – We start off sounding like White Stripes.   And even the vocals do now too.  This sounds like it could be a White Stripes cover, but I’m pretty certain it is not a song penned originally by Jack and Meg White. 
<4> “Texarkana” – A quieter, softer ballad about trying to get home.   This sounds like someone I just can’t put my finger on it.    Well, now it’s kicked in so it doesn’t matter.    This could almost be The Killers, but not quite the same.   The vocals have a different feel to them.  
<5> “Unwanted” – Back to the drum machine sound of the B-52’s.   I can hear Rock Lobster coming through here for sure.   The chorus is “I’d like to thank you for saving me from an unwanted pregnancy”.   Yeah, this song just got that weird.
                These songs could be better, but they also could be a lot worse.   After all, this could have been named “Ms. Fortune”. 
Recommended Downloading Level:  2.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment