Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Music Review: Lone Kodiak "Feet in the Water EP"


You'd be surprised how many albums I've passed over based on their first song.  I know it's one of those questions of "Well, what if their first song was just ok but what came after was much, much better?", but when you've done this for as long as I have it becomes one of those "first impressions are everything" type of deals.    Lone Kodiak kicks off "Feet in the Water" with the song "Calm Down", which I feel like I have been listening to forever and is one of my favorite songs not just of 2017 but of all-time.

Interestingly enough, prior to the release of this five song EP, both "Someone Else's Future" and "Smile" have been premiered as singles so really there are only two songs on here which might be new to you when you finally are able to hear this whole EP, that is of course if you've been following along (and you should be).    It's definitely a plus to have that familiarity with these songs already established though hearing them together has this certain feeling to it as well.   The singles are kind of like the way a shirt is a shirt but when it comes together with pants well then it's something different.

Immediate influences I would pull out of these songs are Of Monsters and Men (and not just because of the vocals) and Andrew McMahon (whom, I will admit, I only know for that "Cecilia and the Satellite" song) as it has this pleasant pop vibe to it overall.    Though both of the artists I mentioned have songs on the radio, the difference between them and Lone Kodiak is that the songs of LK have that mass appeal where they could very easily be played on the radio but at the same time they aren't overly obnoxious to the point where you hear them and think "Yeah, that's radio pop".

I've tried to come up with another form of art to compare the music of Lone Kodiak with but I simply cannot.   How I feel about these songs is that when you listen to almost any song on the radio these days- songs designed for the radio- the appeal is there but it quickly wears off.   Lone Kodiak has that pop appeal but no matter how many times I listen to these songs they don't wear off because I can't even tell you how many times I've heard "Calm Down" now and still want to listen to it.    I could say it was because of the complexity of the songs but I really think it has to do with the overall talent level. 



$5 Download //
$5 CD //

No comments:

Post a Comment