Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Cassette Review: Troy Schafer "Untitled No. 5"



As I check my past I have written reviews for the first two untitled pieces by Troy Schafer.   So, now I must go back for a little bit and find the third and fourth and listen to them as well.    One day, after the third and fourth are reviewed though, this paragraph won't matter because people won't realize I reviewed them out of order aside from my spilling the beans on it right now.

Electronics, beats and even some laughing is how this one begins.   Manipulated vocals accompany a sound which reminds me of a merry-go-round.    Then a loud boom, like an EMP just went off.   This leads into squeals and loud shaprness.    There is also this accordian type of feel going on in the background of what could be that type of Hitchcock score.     Piano notes come out next and they make me think it is the end of the world.     Frequency changes come into the solemn piano notes and it feels like we have either reached the end of the Earth or an uninhabited foreign planet (But really, what's the difference?)

Both sides of this are the same but if you listen to it enough times, become truly engulfed in it, maybe you'll pick up some slight differences or at least hear things you didn't before.    This is layered to the extent that it needs to be listened to more than once (more than ten times even) before you truly start discovering it.    Listen and listen well, my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment