Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Cassette Review: Sana Obruent "Prince Of The Air" (Blackjack Illuminist Records)


One of the things which I particularly love about cassettes is that I can take a stack of ten or so and listen to them and hear a different sound on every single one of them.    At some point in time I felt like I was more inclined to believe that "experimental" music or "noise" was best found on cassette- that is to say that those artists used it the most- but as of right now I feel like I can hear just about anything and everything on cassette and you have no idea how much that pleases me.

"Prince Of The Air" begins softly and has an overall ambient feel to it.    It is minimal and relaxing.    The sound of it almost has a drone feel, but just when you start to slip into that comfort zone of thinking drone it will slightly build and make you think otherwise     It has this quietcore sound to it as well which makes me think of thisquietarmy but getting into other ambient artists for comparison purposes is not needed here.

There is this one part on this cassette where it becomes so quiet everything just comes to a complete stop.   I thought the cassette was done but it came back and once again the sound was reborn.     That is not something easy to do because it left you hanging on just long enough to feel like coming back was the right decision to make.    It is something in the timing aspect of it that I cannot explain because I am, thankfully, not one to make such decisions as an artist.

Hearing "Prince Of The Air" on cassette also enhances the overall sound of Sana Obruent.    At times, I hear things which I'm not sure if it was done on purpose, was caused by the tape hiss or tape player itself.   Adding that level of mystery to any piece of music- especially when it fits as well as it does here- is just a bonus in my book and it can also make me, as a listener, pay closer attention to hear if the next time I listen to this is different from the last.


Originally released as an edition of 15, this cassette has since sold out (sorry it took so long to review it), but it has been given a second pressing in dark yellow which can be purchased for €5 by clicking: https://blackjackilluministrecords.bandcamp.com/album/prince-of-the-air






No comments:

Post a Comment