Monday, November 14, 2016

Cassette Review: Eggs on Mars "On Hold, Hold On"


[$4 // https://eggsonmars.bandcamp.com/album/on-hold-hold-on]

Following "Welcome to our Family" and "Spacey Stacy", this is the latest cassette from Eggs on Mars.    I need to be one of those writers now who tells stories instead of talking about the music itself.   Quentin has been listening to books on CD lately and he has this one called "Mother Bruce" which is about a bear who gets some eggs together because he wants to eat them and, spoilers, instead of cooking them they hatch and he becomes their mother.    So at one point he says something like "I liked you better when you were eggs!" and I kind of crack up every time I hear that because it just seems so unneccesarily cruel, especially for a children's book (Because at one point in time we were all eggs, were we not?)

If you did not expect "On Hold, Hold On" to open with the dialtone of a telephone then you haven't been paying attention to Eggs on Mars like I have.   Someone asked me once about rotary phones and, yes, I used to have one in my house as a kid, so, I not only know what they are but I know the struggle of having to dial and how long it took.   Now I just click on someone's face and it calls them.   So perhaps this cassette will bring out some of your feelings on the telephone as well.   Perhaps it will make you wonder how people who were thinking the rotary phones were tops and are now dead would feel about cell phones.  Imagine if Alfred Hitchcock had FaceTime.

From the dreamy rock sounds of Tom Petty to those guitar riffs I love, there are elements of surf in here as well.   From The Mr. T Experience to Local H, these songs also have sad elements to them and, well, if you read the titles you'll understand why.    I'm not trying to underestimate the power of good song writing because it is an accomplishment to put the chords and what not together to craft these songs musically, but truly great songs- and what Eggs on Mars creates- are not just about the music but also can focus on the words and how they can play into the music.    Songs like "Lonely and Alone" prove you don't have to be by yourself to feel lonely and I think that just speaks volumes for these songs overall.







No comments:

Post a Comment