Friday, May 6, 2016

Cassette Review: Sex Funeral "Eradicator" (Personal Archives)


[$5 // Edition of 100 // https://personalarchives.bandcamp.com/album/eradicator]

There are times when I'll feel like I don't want to review another piece of music by an artist I've already reviewed because it sometimes feels like it can best be summed up by simply saying "Good like the one before", but at least now I don't have to go through all of the questions about the name Sex Funeral again.   Though, if "Eradicator" is not a reference to "Kids in the Hall" then I don't know what I'm doing here.

The general sound of this cassette is set within the first few moments of it.    There is a clanking and banging which can be taken into this Jimi Hendrix-like noise rock and it just kind of goes into all directions yet stays its course from that point on.   These sharp notes can come out through the jungle sludge and at the same time it can appear to have the onslaught of a car crash.     It is interesting that I compare it with a car crash though because every aspect of this music is as important as the next.   I like to think of the guitar and drums being compared to something like the steering and wheels of a car- it's not a matter of which is more important as they are equally as such.

I feel like this could be something from Woodstock '69 and then I get sad that I had to clarify that because there really should have only been one no matter how much I like to watch kids rage to Nine Inch Nails in the mud.   For a moment on the flip side I think I hear vocals, but it's just kind of a talking and someone says something like "Aw yeah".   You'll hear these little moments that make it sound like it was recorded live in front of an audience but I believe it is just the band members themselves speaking.

On more than one occasion I like to describe the sound as being Indian in its nature, though I recently watched a wrestling match with Kana (now Asuka in NXT) and her ring entrance was performed by a man playing what I believe was a sitar so perhaps there is as much Japanese influence in these songs as there is an Indian one.  (Didn't I read somewhere though that Indians are technically "Asians" or am I thinking of someone else?  Not that it matters, but it just would bring the cultural aspect of my comparison closer together somehow)

There is this one part where I hear guitar riffs that can sound like we're about to go into some skater rock like Black Sabbath.   I just picture someone dropping down like in the movie "Lords of Dogtown".    A locomotive build can also be heard in the music and before all is said and done there are quite a few cymbal crashes followed by these sort of warped notes which are halfway manipulated while playing live and the other half makes me feel like they did it after the fact so I'm not really sure.   It's like how rappers "screw" their vocals, but you know, with a guitar and not slowed down.

At this point in time I'm not sure if any of this review even makes any sense.   Perhaps I should have simply stuck with "Sounds good like before".   But what you can take away from this review is that the sounds of Sex Funeral on this cassette are instrumental with a full band sound.   It's not quite any genre I'd recognize by name but the closest thing I can come to say it sounds like is a more deliberate approach to a jam band.    So if you like to rock, put this one in and crank it up.   Unless it's a Tuesday, of course, because Tuesday is no good for The Eradicator.









No comments:

Post a Comment