Thursday, March 24, 2016

Cassette Review: Efferat "The linkugu Liyakala phezu fuji" (5cm Recordings)


[$5 // Edition of 15 // https://5cmrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/the-linkugu-liyakala-phezu-fuji]

When this cassette came in the mail I immediately recognized the name Efferat.   I don't think it's a matter of "If you get a good review on Raised by Gypsies then other people will be interested in releasing your music" to the extent that you should send me a self-released cassette hoping for a good review and then hoping that leads to someone like 5cm Recordings releasing a cassette for you.    Because there is just so much music out there and cassettes are a fraction of it I like to think of it more as being a "small world" type of idea but also it just warms my heart in the way that the old saying goes "great minds think alike".

One of the things I remember about my previous review of Efferat is that there was a lot going on during the cassette.   I know it was one of my longer reviews and I can tell you that I, myself, tend to drift in and out of things which are typed up and long (And that isn't to say I don't occasionally click on an article someone recommends to me and I say aloud "No time to read all that!") so it did stand out to me then because I try to keep these reviews within five paragraphs at most because anything beyond that I feel like you can begin to form your own opinions and not need to read a small book about something.  (Also, at that point, when you've gotten twenty pages into a review you have to wonder why you're spending so much time *reading* instead of listening, but I digress)

The difference between the previous cassette from Efferat and this one is that many words can fill that review and this one is fairly cut and dry as it seems to be drone in a lot of ways.    That isn't to say that this music is simple by any means because there is still a lot going on, but it can easily be stated that it's going on in the background and you'll have to hear it for yourself.    Side A is made up of swirling synth and it brings you into the distorted void with those space lasers we've all come to know and love.   Granted it is not just that as you couldn't combine three elements and recreate the entire but that is what is most at the forefront of it all.

On the flip side, static blasts through while there is a darkness in the background.   This side doesn't stay complete drone either though, as it does become somewhat wavy as it progresses.    The darkness in the background is somewhere between guitar notes and video game sounds.   If it was isolated it might begin to sound like that one song Bush did from the second soundtrack to "The Crow", but the fact that it's just kind of tucked away back there and not all in the front like "Look at me! Look what I can do!" makes this all the better for it.

If you enjoyed the previous Efferat cassette I reviewed then this will fit like a glove for you.   If you missed that review and don't feel like going back and reading it then you are the one who is losing out because I've organized everything nice and easily for you to be able to find it and the music is there all you have to do is open up your ears and let it in.









No comments:

Post a Comment