Thursday, July 16, 2015

Cassette Review: White Spot "Everything Changes, Nothing Disappears"


[$3 // Edition of 15 // https://whitespot.bandcamp.com/album/everything-changes-nothing-disappears]

The music of White Spot is a cross between metal and hardcore with some flat out rocking sounds in it as well.   This came in an envelope which was sealed with what appears to be melted wax with a "W" on it (which can be seen on their Bandcamp page) and this is the only indication as to who the artist behind this is that I can tell because I had to figure it out based upon the album title.   Though the cassette itself reminds me of one of those jumbo crayons my son has that is made up of all sorts of different colors and thus can produce any color at any given time when using it so I will gladly sacrifice name recognition for the cassette artwork.

"Everything Changes, Nothing Disappears" begins with static and the sounds of guitar notes which always makes me think of tuning for some reason.   It goes into screams which just come out rather heavy and I'm lead to believe this is hardcore.    It begins rocking like Alice in Chains, even in the vocals, and then I begin to think that sound is also blended with some of Fight Paris, which is a band most people won't remember.    Starts and stops come into the music as it begins to channel As Friends Rust for me and then as it gets down to only the guitar notes it takes a turn into that southern grunge feel which reaffirms my Alice in Chains belief but can also bring about elements of Sevendust for me.

Things take a turn for that "Smells Like Children" era Marilyn Manson sound with that ripping, dark synth and before all is said and done there are even some screams coming through which have this Nirvana sort of feeling that they're giving off.    One of the key points that White Spot mentions on their Bandcamp page is that they want this piece of music, though it is divided into songs, to flow as one large song.   There is actually a track that is all of the songs combined for those who have the digital issues (because Bandcamp does like to leave those mini-second gaps) but the cassette is perfect for making this one piece and as such it is quite the threat.

From the sounds of hardcore and metal to the melodies and rock n roll, I can only imagine this particular cassette as flowing so seemlessly simply because it seems like if not an entire movie then at least a specific scene in a movie and that would be someone going on a killing spree in my mind.   Just picture something Tarantino may have done and ask yourself if there should be pauses in that or if it should just go from Point A to Point B and I think that the second option there is what makes this so good.   I only wonder why it was cut up to begin with because there is nothing wrong with a fifteen minute song when it sounds this sweet.










No comments:

Post a Comment