Monday, February 16, 2015

Cassette Review: Black Piranha "Pas Propre, Propre" (talking skull)


[$5 CAD // Edition of 100 // https://talkingskullmtl.bandcamp.com/album/tsc003-black-piranha-pas-propre-propre]

As with the tradition of the calendar and times as such being broken down into months, weeks and days, I do tend to have this certain stack of cassettes that I plan on starting the review process for each week.    The review process is long and tedious so I won't bore you with the details of it, but I will say that many times if I have what I feel are going to be similar cassettes I won't start their reviews at the same time.   This can be done sometimes with labels but most often just if I happen to get more than one cassette from the same artist at a time.

Given my system, I find it rather hard to have two artists who sound alike within the same sort of grouping of reviews, but the first time that I listened to Black Piranha I knew that it sounded like something I had heard all too recently.   My thought process first went to something else from Talking Skull, which seemed most obvious, but rather it has some elements of F. Emasculata, which to have even that much in common (Maybe 35%?) is amazing given the odds of it happening.

In any case, this is heavy and some kind of -core I imagine.   Male and female vocals shout it out in punk fashion with the hum of synth and the whirrs of the modem.   It reminds me a bit of the band Sex Positions (who was always referred to online as "Sxe Positions" to avoid unwanted search results... yeah, good luck with that now) and they were members of bands such as Some Girls and the such, which is always awesome to be reminded of in current music.

There is one point where the song gets this sort of poppy bass line and all I can think of is it being some sort of pop punk underneath all of this otherwise hardcore sound and then there are some head-bobbing moments that can be thought of as catchy (Though it is within the music itself, not the vocals) and I'm kind of wanting to call this popcore but I think that might get me laughed at.

Distorted drum beats ala Dana Fowler And The and/or Nine Inch Nails' "March of the Pigs" make way for what can also be compared with Fear Before the March of Flames.    That had some kind of genre label once like "artcore" or "art punk" maybe but whatever you call it, play this one loud and enjoy the hell out of what a unique experience it truly is.










No comments:

Post a Comment