Monday, December 1, 2014

Cassette Review: Kill the Intellectuals "sad grrrl eats oatmeal and stares into the vanishing point" (Tyburn Woods Collective)


[$6 // Edition of 40 // https://tyburnwoodscollective.bandcamp.com/album/sad-grrrl-eats-oatmeal-and-stares-into-the-vanishing-point]

This will be the only time that I write a review without talking about the music itself (probably), so be prepared.    I had seen the name Kill the Intellectuals before because it comes up in one of my common searches: Houston.     I had never really given it much thought, but then saw it pop up under my cassette search and figured it to be more than a coincidence.

Look, I'm not saying that if you're a musician from Houston and I continually see your name and then you happen to release a cassette that somehow catches my eye it's guarenteed that I'm going to review it, but there is a strong chance that will be the case simply because there become so many overwhelming factors that my curiousity gets the best of me.

When listening to this album (I did so first via download) I took nonstop notes.   I began writing so quickly but still couldn't keep up somehow.  and I did something I had never done before: I started asking questions.  I had begun forming a set of interview questions before ever even asking anyone about an interview.  (My normal strategy is:  ask someone or have them ask me, when it is agreed upon I get all freaked out like I don't know what I'm doing and I make a big deal out of it and then eventually after way too many months send out questions that took me minutes to formulate)

After falling in love with this digitally, I asked the label for a copy to review.   They declined.   So I bought it because I had that much faith in it and wanted to do this as a cassette review and not as a just another MP3 review.    The fact that this music has been sort of following me throughout the past few years of my life isn't what you need to consider here.

This is the first and possibly only time that I have just felt so much flowing out of this music... You know, music can be like water in that sense to me.   Sometimes there's a draught when I don't know what to write.    Sometimes it rains and other times it pours.   With Kill the Intellectuals it was the type of flood that would make Noah think he just overfilled his bathtub.





No comments:

Post a Comment