Thursday, September 25, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Walter Gross + Lumiere Soto / Valance Drakes "Ouroboros" (I had An Accident Records)


            Somehow, I have managed to hear Walter Gross as one half of a split every time I listen to him.  In this particular split though, he is not only occupying only half of this cassette he is doing so with Lumiere Soto as a collaboration if you will.   So right after this, my plan is to go through and find a Walter Gross full length to review!

            The Walter Gross + Lumiere Soto side of this is an electronic beats paradise.   It starts off quieter, but then the beats kick in and it skips its way into an audio clip about how people who seem like they might be trying to help you are really only out to help themselves.    It’s electro and as we get closer towards the end of the side it has this feel of a Transformer trying to transform set to a funky rhythm.   I’m not sure how exactly one would take the noise of the action of a Transformer transforming and then manipulate it into a sound such as this- and have it sound so good- but Walter Gross and Lumiere Soto have managed to do just that. 

            Side B is covered by Valance Drakes and oddly both Valance Drakes and Walter Gross have new releases on I had An Accident around the same time, so this is kind of like a flashback to “Remember when…” and, you know, if you’re picking up either of these new cassettes (which you should be) then this is a nice compliment to go with it if you don’t already have it.   The music of Valance Drakes starts off quite haunting, in an X-Files way, and just continues to build with beats and hollow groans until it sounds like something out of a horror movie.   By the end of it I feel as if it is taunting me, the lasers are torturing me but I don’t want it to stop.  







No comments:

Post a Comment