Friday, July 25, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Walter Gross “Dear Dirt McGirt”


                This was my first time listening to Walter Gross.   This still goes by a lot faster than I expect every time I listen to it, but that isn’t a bad thing.   It’s beats and audio clips.   There is static distortion.   There are bug zappers.   It’s kind of like hip hop with some slight noise mixed in, but then you can also get samples of rappers which bring out those hip hop lyrics.

                 What I like about this most though and what has made me an instant fan of Walter Gross is that this sounds to me like someone is going through and splicing up old hip hop cassettes.   In case anyone is not in the loop of reading each and every of my reviews or you just happened to miss one of the 90% where I mention it otherwise, I had primarily hip hop cassettes growing up and it’s something that I still carry with me to this day.

                Really, the short of the long is that I love cassettes because of the nostalgia factor for me—I grew up with them, before CDs and after records.   But now you take someone who is seemingly sampling from the cassettes that I had- and that my friends had- growing up and the nostalgia factor just increases.   

No comments:

Post a Comment