Monday, July 7, 2014

CD REVIEW: Blanche Blanche Blanche “Breaking Mirrors” (Wharf Cat Records)


                When I went to take notes on this CD, I first pressed play and then in my notebook marked down the letter “A” inside of a box to represent my notes on Side A.   I then had to X out the A because I realized that there was only one side to this.   I became so used to writing notes for cassettes…

                This is indie rock at its core, something like The Capricorns or L7 maybe, but there are some parts which do make it somewhere between that weird rock and math rock as well.   And, no, I’m not just saying that because on the third song the vocals repeat the number zero a bunch of times.   (Throw in some ones and you’ve got binary!)

                At times, it sounds like it should be that political protesting type of rock from Washington DC, and at other times I feel like it should be from Olympia, Washington, so go figure whether it should be the state or the nation’s capitol, but either way it’s rocking hard.

                These are fairly short songs, and I’d call them punk art on some level, but the lyrics can also be poetic like Patti Smith.   By the end somehow it reaches a certain level of pop that I can hear The Go-Go’s coming out and I’m okay with that.   This is a fine piece of music indeed. 







No comments:

Post a Comment