Tuesday, July 15, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Drugstore / Disco Machine Gun split


                In the time Drugstore spends crafting two songs on this split cassette, Disco Machine Gun cranks out one epic anthem.    It is in this way that you can distinguish these two bands from each other, yet I could still imagine them playing a show together based on their similarities. 

                Drugstore is heavily distorted rock n roll at its finest.  These two songs have punk rock undertones, but embrace the styles of The Replacements or Mudhoney a little bit more.   They’re powerful in their delivery both musically and lyrically, as the lyrics can be as bold as “Nothing ever changes.  Nothing.  Fuck it”, which is something I firmly believe based upon an episode of “The Simpsons” which I will not get into right now.

                On the Disco Machine Gun side you get one long song that is heavier rock, closer to metal in some aspects of it, and brings out everything from Nirvana and sludge to screaming and, yes, Snapcase.   Wow, when was the last time I referenced Snapcase?   Have I ever?  If not, it’s about time I can.    There are some violins in the violence as well, and this guitar playing is simply terrific. 

                My only complaint with this cassette would be that it ends, but I have gone out and found the rest of the music that I can by both of these artists (reviews forthcoming, or at least heavy jam sessions) and will also just continue to flip sides on this one because then every time it ends it can start again.









No comments:

Post a Comment