Friday, May 9, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Fantasma “Percurso Invis+¡vel” (Marvellous Tone)



                Not only is this particular cassette limited to 28 copies (I often get told that 50 is considered to be “limited”) but it comes from Portugal, which seems to make it that much harder to access in the United States in a physical sense. 

                From the low static drone noise that begins Side A with an audio clip about pianos, we get into some haunting sounds, such as ghosts talking.  I might be wrong, but for whatever reason whenever I think of someone dying via smashed by falling piano, I always think of the movie “Ghost Dad” (You know, with Bill Cosby) and, well, the first track here (which is Side A for purposes of the tape) just kind of brings out that movie.

                During the second track, or Side B, we open with an audio clip about changing the speed of your tape recorder, which I often feel some artists do whilst recording.  There is some choppy synth, and then we are headed back into vowels and white noise talk.  Through whirring, we are taught to treat the sounds as colors, tempers and shapes.  I fully do support that notion, by the way- that sounds are more than just audible.

                By the end we hear the blade spinning of a helicopter and though the second side doesn’t have a clear vision in my mind like the first did, I still feel like it was a ride I am glad to go on again, so this is definitely something worth looking into, even physically if you have the means.

No comments:

Post a Comment