Friday, May 9, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Japanese Treats “*E 468” (Adhesive Sounds)


            The first track on this cassette really brings out the carousel ride sound, as it feels like we’re just going around and around on a wild ride.  Gatsbys American Dream actually has an album that starts like this, but Japanese Treats then turns into something that isn’t really like that band.

            There is a bunch of piano sounding keyboard parts here within and those in general just seem to have this bordering on 8bit, although I am fairly certain that there are no Gameboys used in the creation of this music.  Side B even begins as some sort of weird video game, but in a completely good way.

            As we near the end of Side B, there is some singing coming through, but this is primarily an instrumental cassette that takes us on the edge of video gaming without actually going there.  It could be the next evolution in video game music for all we know.

            I especially like this cassette because I enjoy Japanese Treats.  I’m not sure what the name implies exactly, but it makes me think of something to do with Hello Kitty of Pocky and that’s cool with me.  Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to go read manga.  









No comments:

Post a Comment