Friday, May 30, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Elekibass “One of Elekibass’ Years” (Hope for the Tape Deck)


            Elekibass has been around seemingly forever, as I remember reviewing a number of their CDs back in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s when I was a different website and Happy Happy Birthday to Me Records were cranking out releases of twee like there was no tomorrow.

            To see Elekibass on cassette in 2014, with me reviewing primarily cassettes these days, makes me feel like I’ve come full circle in a lot of ways, so personally, yes, this is quite a thing for me in and of itself.

            The songs of Elekibass have as much passion and energy as they ever have.   They could be something as easily compared as to The Beatles, yet they also have that sound that could be found in an episode of “Happy Days”.   The second side brings out some instrumental bits with Stephen Hawking-esque computer talk.   Some of the songs are also sung in Japanese, which is always fun.

            I’m hesitant to call Elekibass the Japanese Beatles because of certain implications that can come with it, but based on their track record and consistency, I’d say that it can be fairly accurate if the only difference being that Elekibass does not garner nearly as much mainstream attention as they so justly deserve.  







No comments:

Post a Comment