Tuesday, April 8, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: ZWIAN vs. Mr. Scradam “The Westport Massacre” (TBD The Mixtape)


            In the battle of ZWIAN vs. Mr. Scradam, there can only be one winner and unfortunately the entire population of Westport is going down in their battle to the death.   Okay, so maybe that’s not what’s happening so much as this is a musical type of cassette, but I recently watched “The Man with the Iron Fists”, which was done by RZA and had songs on as such, and I can’t help but feel that this could serve as the soundtrack to some sort of rather gory kung fu movie.

            Based on the track listing, this does not appear to be a split so much as a collaboration, which is cool, but means that these two artists are working together rather than engaging in a battle.   There are Megatron beats alongside some really just fantastic rhythms and patterns.   At times, the instrumental experimental electronic music can almost turn 8bit, but it doesn’t quite fully go there.

            There are what I like to call industrial pop beats on the second side.  This accompanies some static swirls as well as a loop of someone saying “Ha!”.   I’m not really big into genre labels, obviously, but I hear the words “vapor wave” together a lot and while I’m not sure what they mean, this reminded me of it because I could at least hear the vapors.

            Rather, it might not be the vapors I am hearing but the dust settling as this cassette meets its end.   If you’re ready for some beats that you can fight to (Please, don’t hurt each other.  Let’s bring back breakdancing instead) then this is the tape for you to put in your ghetto blaster.  










No comments:

Post a Comment