Wednesday, April 23, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: scant / developer split (factotumtapes)


            In its basic form, scant can simply be heard as someone leaving their tape recorder in their pocket on a very windy day.  I know this is probably not the case, but it is what I can hear though I am fairly certain that my attempting to do that would not wield the same results.   There is a lot to be taken though from the minimal qualities of scant, and at the same time it is also nice to hear this side of the tape because the flip side becomes so much more complex.

            Side B is filled with various noises from developer.  There is some akin to static lasers, channels begin changing and there is the dim humming of a single light bulb in an empty room.   This is all brought together with distorted vocals that make me think of a Dalek, not because I like Doctor Who per se but because I know what a Dalek is.

            This split cassette is a good exercise in what opposites can be in a similar genre of music and I do enjoy the fact that two sound levels can be so different yet still please me so much.  







No comments:

Post a Comment