Sunday, March 2, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Death Vessel "Island Intervals" (Sub Pop)

             When I first started listening to this, because I had never heard Death Vessel before, I thought that this was a woman singing.   It is actually a man and the fact that he can get his voice to such heights as that it imitates that more of a woman than what you would think of as a man is both fascinating and a topic of discussion within itself.

            There are people out there who feel like terms such as “female vocals” are sexist rather than descriptive, yet here is a perfect example of how that can come back to bite you in the ass.   You could call these “male vocals”, but they sound like what would be referred to as “female vocals” and thus the notion gets flipped upside down anyway.

            Well, it does give me something to write about when I review this rather than just saying “female vocals, kind of like No Doubt” or “This sounds like Bob Dylan”, neither of which apply here.   The fact is that this is just some beautifully crafted music regardless of what genre the person singing it is and it does in some ways make me feel like I need re-explore my notions of “female vocals” and “male vocals”.  


No comments:

Post a Comment