Thursday, March 13, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Wooves “Yawn” (Holy Infinite Freedom Revival Records)


                They are not quite Wolves, but their name does rhyme with “Hooves” and so that is how I will remember them from now on.  I don’t know why, but this band name always catches me off guard.  I always think it says something that it doesn’t.   It’s like one of those pictures from Cracked where it looks like a girl has no arms but it’s just the way she’s standing and positioned in the picture. 

                The songs of Wooves are somewhere between twee and lo-fi indie rock that can be mixed with garage.  I say twee because this sounds like something I’d get from Happy Happy Birthday to Me Records back in the day, only perhaps from one of their friendly labels as opposed to HHBTM specifically.

                Within the guitar parts there are also more than a few dashes of psychedelic rock, despite the vocal protests by the band about what year it may or may not be.   Was there such a thing as a psychedelic garage band?  I can’t recall one off hand; I just keep picturing two different bands.

                Their fuzzy laced theme song sounds like Dead Milkman, as it is taken up a notch into the world of punk rock complete with all sorts of defiance.   That seems only fitting that the last song would be an acoustic number that borders on folk punk more than anything else. 

                Overall, I imagine this is one of the sounds of rock that was most captured back when records were being replaced by cassettes, so it is quite fitting to have on cassette.  It’s not quite perfect for vinyl, but it’s not Oingo Boingo either, so it is just right.







No comments:

Post a Comment