Wednesday, March 26, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Fuzz Town “Songs for the Existential” (Already Dead Tapes)


                Like most people who are born with a brain and choose to use it, there was a time in my life when I dove headfirst pretty heavily into Existentialism and had read all the books, could quote them, etc.  I haven’t actually read anything under that particular genre recently because my time doesn’t really afford me the ability to read much.  Honestly, I can’t even remember the last book I read but it was probably non-fiction and probably about music.

                In any case, when listening to this tape from Fuzz Town I immediately was convinced I must be able to pick out the underlying elements of the Existential, which is why it must be named as such.   This is not really that fuzzy, as the name would imply, yet it has these experimental and instrumental qualities underneath the more forefront qualities of crunching guitar loops and even industrial type loops.

                On many levels, I peg this one as being somewhere in between the darker works of an instrumental Nine Inch Nails and the “In Utero” era of Nirvana.   If you’ve ever wanted to know what Existentialism is all about, the collected works of Trent Reznor and Kurt Cobain are a good place to start.  I really like this because it feels like you’re in some sort of static nightmare, like a manga I read once called “Bio-Mega”, and I’ve just never heard these two particular bands mixed in this way before but it is quite remarkable.





No comments:

Post a Comment