Saturday, February 22, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Fanfarlo "Let's Go Extinct" (Blue Horizon Ventures)

             I’ve never heard of Fanfarlo before, much less their label, so I was quite interested in what this might sound like after the first track grabbed at me.   The way they mix male and female vocals could give a band like Of Monsters and Men a run for their money, yet by no means are Fanfarlo part of the new folk revolution.

            No, this is pretty pop rock, sort of a dream pop and even drawing the influence of the 1980’s as well.  It could be roller disco, but it’s not quite.  It could be Duran Duran, but it’s not quite.  It also could be PolySpree, but it’s not quite.

            The one interesting facet of this music as well are the usage of these horns.  They’re done in a way that isn’t ska, sure, but sometimes the guitar riffs do make me think of ska.   It isn’t Squirrel Nut Zippers, but these horns do come out quite nicely even if I cannot place their likeness.

            If nothing else, these vocals remind me of Elvis Costello (on the male behalf) and that’s not a bad thing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment