Saturday, February 22, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Cibo Matto "Hotel Valentine" (Chimera)

             These may very well be the only words I ever write about Cibo Matto, so I am being certain to make them count.   When I was much younger than I am now, before I began writing about music maybe even, I heard about this band called Cibo Matto.   No one knew what to make of them.  They were pop rock, but had elements of punk and other just odd styles put together unlike anything that had ever been heard before.

            To say that Cibo Matto is influential is an understatement.   There likely exists a piece of Cibo Matto in all music that is good and came after them, and that isn’t just restricted to the Ladytron and Deerhoof but it goes down deeper into bands you probably don’t even think about them having an influence on.

            Cibo Matto does not need me to tell you how great this album or any of their other music is.   Cibo Matto does not need me to review or write in any capacity about any future releases they may consider.  Cibo Matto is their own press machine.  It’s not that they’re popular in the conventional sense, like a household name, but they find a way to get their music heard no matter what.  And it should be heard.  


No comments:

Post a Comment