Wednesday, February 5, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Elizabeth & the Catapult "Like It Never Happened" (Thirty Tigers)

             Even though I had heard the name of Elizabeth & the Catapult before (in legend and in song, but not in songs by John Legend), this was my first time actually hearing her music.  She has an album prior to this one on Spotify, so I’m not really sure why I never listened to it or reviewed it, but it probably has something to do with the long number of lists of music I have to listen to at some point in time.

            Hints of Sheryl Crow come out vocally, and musically there is a lot of soul like you’d expect from someone such as Florence Welch, but this album has a different feel to it that I cannot quite explain and only compare (which my comparison might not do proper justice either).

            I don’t really want to open a whole can of worms here, making a review within a review, but I’m still to this day a huge fan of the Plain White T’s album “Stop”.  It has this amazing quality from the first to last song where it’s paced and timed just ever so perfectly.  It’s something that many albums don’t do because they feel just like a collection of songs rather than have that overall feel that connects them together.

            “Like It Never Happened” has that timing and pacing down like I haven’t seen since “Stop” and that’s really saying something.  I won’t look up what year “Stop” was released because I don’t want to feel any older than I already do, but I do remember it as being in my later NCA days.


            On top of the album feel that I normally don’t feel but is so outstanding here, I am also an instant fan of the song “Wish I Didn’t” because I simply cannot recall the last time I was so excited over the lyrics of a song.  

No comments:

Post a Comment