Wednesday, February 5, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Savage Sister + Lykanthea “sundrowned”



http://savagesister.bandcamp.com/album/sundrowned

            Savage Sister became one of my favorite bands in 2013.  I don’t really think that is a secret to anyone who reads what I write, nor should it really be.  If you like a band, you should tell the world about them because we have far too much crap in popular music and I’d like to see a day where Grammys were won by bands that I’d actually owned the albums for, but alas, it will probably never happen in my lifetime.

            Yes, we live in a world that is a popularity contest over actual talent and the idea of not just following the mold and crowd appeal, but what can you really do?   We are a society of sheep with only a few wolves mixed in.

            Where was I going with this?  I wish I remembered.

            So these are four new songs from Savage Sister, though the first is short and closer to an intro and the second song “Naked” was released prior to this EP as a lead-in single.  So you kind of only get two new songs on this EP, but it’s still better than most of what else was released in January and might even come out throughout the rest of the year.

            I’ve always thought of Savage Sister as being sort of the quintessential dream pop band.  This is not a bad thing, it is merely a point that I typically would ask myself if something sounded like Savage Sister if I wondered if it was dream pop.

            These songs are dreamy, sure, but they don’t have as much of the pop to them that previous Savage Sister songs do.  I can assume that this is the Lykanthea influence and as such this has now made me want to further explore their music.


            So this has taken an existing sound and put a new twist on it that is just awesome, plus allowed me to discover a band I may not have otherwise known about.   Is there anything Savage Sister cannot do?  Are there really any more reasons you need to be listening to this??

No comments:

Post a Comment