Wednesday, October 16, 2013

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Deer Tick “Negativity”

                When I first heard Deer Tick, it was back in 2011 on their album “Divine Providence”.  I marveled at their energetic sense of punk rock, often times channeling Iggy Pop.   It was one of my favorite albums, even in 2012, and I really was looking forward to this new album from the band.

                However, anything fun I saw in them before was quickly erased on this new album.  It sounds like The Replacements at times, with some bursts of jazz, but on the whole this just reminds me of Soul Asylum, a band who is still putting out new music might I add.

                So as I wonder how this band sounds so much like another band and so much unlike the band that I fell in love with, I try to put myself in the shoes of actually being in the band.  Unfortunately, I attempted to do so as the song “Mirror Walls” was playing and all I could think was that I’d either be bored, feel like we were just ripping off Soul Asylum but most likely probably both.


                Do us all a favor and pretend this album doesn’t exist.  You’ll be a fan of Deer Tick that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment