Friday, October 25, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Millenials “Generation Why”


                When I saw this album come up in my search results, I have to admit that I was surprised by it.   It seems like just a few short months ago that I was rocking out to “Songs from the Drain” for the first time.  (It was back in May, which is about a five month gap, but still, this year seems to be flying by for me)   Once I got over the fact that, yes, Millenials had put out yet another album in this, the year of music, I was ready to crank it as loud as I could.

                The thing about having a follow up to what I think was just such a great album, as well as being in  the general vein of what I like to call grunge, is the question of how do you follow up to it?  Many of the problems with bands that were labeled as grunge is that they didn’t have any longevity because they peaked at one album.  

                I’m not saying this outright, because I don’t agree with the assessment, but many people would feel as if perhaps Nirvana peaked at “Nevermind” (Personally, I like “In Utero” best and think their best songs only would follow that), Pearl Jam at “Ten” (I’m a big fan of “Backspacer”) and so on in that manner.  

                What most people who didn’t live through grunge don’t realize is that there are a crop of bands out there known for either one song or one album and then they kind of get written off.   Some of them deservedly so, sure, (I won’t name names), but some of them without any real sense of fairness to the band.

                Local H, for example, might forever be known for their 1996 album “As Good As Dead” (I pulled that off the top of my head, so I hope ’96 is the right year), yet they’ve put out a number of great albums since then.  

                So the problem with this second album, which really every band faces, is that you run the risk of either not having this album live up to the expectations set by the first, you have it be too far a departure from the sound that made you love the band before or you can just view it as an extension of the previous album.

                I say extension, but I really mean more along the lines of a continuation if you’d rather.    Granted, their first album is six songs and this is nine, so you know, you could put them together for a fifteen track epic and not really hesitate to listen to them all the way through.


                From Hum to Local H to “Nevermind” era Nirvana, Millenials has managed to create a most excellent album for the second time this year and I don’t know how many bands (if any) can pull that off.   If you haven’t taken my advice yet and listened to Millenials, now seems to be the best time to take advantage of these songs on Band Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment