Wednesday, October 23, 2013

CASSETTE REVIEW: Hot Victory “Nexus”

                When one listens to music, they don’t always hear the drums despite their being the beat that keeps the rhythm together.   However, with the band Hot Victory it is pretty hard to ignore the drums.  The word for this album is, let’s all say it together now: Percussion.

                Though there are other sounds on the songs, the drums still stand out the most.  They aren’t on a loop, like you’d think of being on a beat tape or the such, so It’s not really a pop sound in them.   But then the other end of the spectrum seems to remind me of “Stomp” and I don’t think I’d go quite that far either.

                This really just reminds me of when I was in my high school marching band, and prior, as it has that feel to it of being very live drums but not to the way you want to get up and pound a garbage can.  It’s hard for me to remember sometimes what drums can sound like when not in a loop or a machine, but this is an excellent reminder of that.


                The closest thing- and really one of the only things- that I can find to compare this to would be What Cheer? Brigade, but again, that’s a stretch because it is so percussion heavy.   And sometimes when you get metal bands with double bass drums or rappers with the heavy beat it can negatively affect that playback on a cassette.    But not with Hot Victory—these drums stay crisp and smooth throughout. 


No comments:

Post a Comment