Monday, September 2, 2013

First International Cassette Store Day, September 7th, 2013


                Look, I like records as much as the next guy (Unless that guy happens to really love records), but I was born in 1980.  My first method of listening to recorded music was on cassette tape.   My mom has Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” on record, but she copied it onto a tape for me.

                With the music industry going digital (which has both its pros and cons), even the smallest of bands or record labels is now open to put music out however they should choose.   Not only has this made it easier for records to be released, it has paved the way for the comeback of the cassette.

                I only recently began to realize that labels exist such as Burger Records who put out cassettes, but as you can tell from my special Cassettes Only section of this site, there are other labels out there putting out quality music on quality tapes. 

                While I still welcome records into my collection, as well as CDs, I am trying to begin collecting more cassettes than anything else, bringing me back into my childhood because, well, when I first started seriously listening to music I was buying cassette tapes. 

                The first International Cassette Store Day is this Saturday, September 7th, 2013 and is happening at a number of fine stores.    Specifically, in Connecticut, you can visit Red Scroll Records in Wallingford.   There are also a bunch of neat releases coming out on cassette for the occasion, which you will probably be reading more about in the coming months.


                For a full list and all the info you could possibly want, check out: www.cassettestoreday.com
and here’s to hoping this sticks around for next year and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment