Sunday, July 28, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: datewiththeknife “I Read a Book About a Mountain”

Name Your Price Download

                datewiththeknife is an interesting band, if only because I can’t place these seven songs into one genre.    In fact, each song itself is somewhat long and could be seen more as a mini-movement versus what you think of as being a traditional verse/chorus/verse song (Or even the odd songs that might not have a chorus)

                Is this post rock?  Yes.  Is it emo?  Sure, why not.  Is there distant scream-speaking at times?  Absolutely.   Does it get heavy on the FNL?   You know it!

                So instead of asking and answering questions myself, let me just tell you about the rest of this album straight up.   There are audio clips laced throughout.   It reminds me of a less heavy version of Backstabbers, Inc., despite my earlier typing that it is heavy because it is in many ways heavy.   It reminds me of the obvious choice of mewithoutYou, but also of Florida Equals Death.


                There are also slower parts that shine through like Local H ballads or Pink Floyd.   And mostly I just think this sounds a bit like The Lot Six with some screaming parts.   Oh, that and also “D.A.D.” is a really solid song.

No comments:

Post a Comment