Tuesday, July 30, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Beaver Brothers “I Turned Into the Moon”

                Before I get into the intricacies of this album, I would like to tell you that despite what I am about to type I do enjoy this album quite a bit.

                If anyone ever wanted to create an album that they didn’t want people to listen to for whatever reason, Beaver Brothers would have done it with “I Turned Into the Moon”.   The first track on this album had me turned off within the first ten seconds or so, wondering why I even downloaded this twice (The first time didn’t take because Google Chrome pulled a disappearing act) let alone why am I bothering taking the time to listen to it.

                When you get past the first track, you come into the second song which has a pop punk quality to it, but overall to me sounds a lot like Reel Big Fish.   Again, another chance for people to easily write this off and move on to the next band in their queue.  

                As it goes on, the album doesn’t really change sounds that much and it stays in this pop punk hell that makes it easy to hate, open for bashing by many critics.   And did I mention that the break down on the second track sounds like cavemen having sex?

                I was going to easily write this off, as I feel a lot of people can and will do, but for some reason, it has managed to grow on me.   Some parts make me cringe still, but when it’s good it is something I’m really glad to be listening to, for the most part.


                Also not helping their case:  Not only do they reference High School Musical, they say Free Willy 2: the Adventure Home is their favorite movie.    But that might just be another quality that makes me enjoy it so much:  these very random lyrics.

1 comment:

  1. Heybyour review is cool i likebwhat you do but just a quick question How is anything here pop punk or ska? I happy you enjoy the album but I'm curious to what sounds stand out to you

    ReplyDelete