Monday, June 17, 2013

SBSR: Millenials “Songs From the Drain”

Name Your Price Download

<1> “Taking Over” – And we open with a distorted guitar riff, which kicks in and reminds me a lot of grunge.  And here comes the lyrics.  “I watched the whole world fall for you”.   This is something between the better Goo Goo Dolls and Dramarama.  I also hear Soul Asylum in at least the vocals.  “We’re taking over / And this is how we live / And we’ll get sober / Because this is who we are” Fair enough.  “I will not give in this way”.  I really like these lyrics and this just flat out rocks from the perspective of a grunge kid.  This song reminds me of Stevie Richards and his infamous ECW bWo promo… Ah, good times.  Shall I also compare thee to Matthew Sweet?  This must be played at a maximum volume.  And before we get to the next song, yes, I did indeed download this one already. 

<2> “Jesus Saves” – It’d be too corny if this was named “Jesus Shaves”.  This has a definite Nirvana “Nevermind” feel to it, and that’s not the first time I’ve written that tonight.  “Jesus saves / all his slaves / fear is gay / fear is trained”.   Someone is having some struggles with religion, huh?  Lyrically, yeah, but I mean, otherwise, this song just flat out rocks.   “Jesus loves you, now just die” – Whoa.  That’s the second time he’s condemned us all to death.  What is this like for the Nirvana song though… Territorial Pissings, right?  Yeah.  So for those expecting this to be a Christian rock anthem, it will only leave you feeling dirty with sin.

<3> “The Other Side (of Apathy)” – This song begins like Nirvana also, only in this one I’m hearing “Lithium”.  Then it gets all heavy and distorted like Millenials is using the Nirvana setting on their pedal.   Now I hear “Serve the Servants”.  Now I hear other bands.  But yeah, this does have a somewhat similar sound to Nirvana, but not too close as to make me shy away from it.  This is just amazingly rocking.   Now it’s the bass break down like in “Lithium”.  Except he’s singing “I’m not afraid” instead of “I’m so happy”.   Now we’re fading out with haunting vocals. 

<4> “My Ammonia” – This starts off more like one of those weird radio bands:  Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin or even  POD for some reason.  This is pretty heavy too, as you can hear on the drum beats.  I don’t want to say this gets close to Limp Bizkit because that sounds like a diss, but it sort of does in some ways.   This could be the “grungegaze” they told me about.  “They’re screaming for you” almost has the “Take a Picture” era Filter in it, which is one of the only eras of Filter I, sadly, compare bands to these days.  (Give me some “Short Bus” era Filter please)  Now the drums are getting all dreamy and kicking back in.  Yeah, this could be on the radio, but that doesn’t make it bad.

<5> “Commercial Whore” – And now we’re back to fast grunge.  And this song sounds a lot like Local H, which I love.  “I’m a commercial whore / I sell my soul for more” Does this have anything to do with ad space during the Super Bowl?  Yeah, this is definitely in the vein of Local H and I love it because I still love Local H after all these years.  That was a crazy fast song also.  It went by so quickly.  Oh, it’s quiet but not over yet.  Shhhh.

<6> “In Sleeping Lies” – This kicks in and starts to sound like “My Ammonia”.  I had notes on this album before I was going to do a SBSR and I thought one of these songs was instrumental, but apparently that was wrong.  These songs just have too many elements to them for me to just write blah blah blah blibbity blah about them so that’s why I’m writing about them song by song.  “We can change the world tonight”,   Let’s do it.  These guitar chords are heavy rocking.  “My heart has turned to stone and I’ve left behind the world we’ve known”.  I’m going to throw in an Anberlin comparison here now.  But now it’s getting chugga chugga heavy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment