Saturday, May 11, 2013

SBSR: Souvenir Stand “Days” (Beautiful Strange)

Souvenir StandDays” (Beautiful Strange)


<1> “Wherever You Go” – We begin like Shannon and the Clams.  Yeah, this has that female 1960s with a hint of surf rock feel to it.  It’s very bubbly.  High energy.  I imagine the girls smiling a lot while singing this.  I feel like this would be a great satire video.   “I trip, I stumble and I get the lyrics wrong / I couldn’t get away with messing up the song”   Yeah, but writing that as a rhyme, obviously it was intentional so you didn’t mess up the song.  <pause>  One time I saw Reel Big Fish and they have a song called “Beer”.  Well, it has a part that slows down and he sings “Maybe next time I’ll remember what to say… Maybe next time I’ll remember what to do”  Well, at the show (I don’t remember which show exactly, I had seen RBF too many times in my life) he said “Maybe next time I’ll remember the lyrics…” and he started laughing and so did everyone else.   That’s really how you forget the lyrics—live and with humor.  Okay, back to my review while my ska is showing.  <unpause>  “Remember those days… Remember those ni-ii-ii-ii-iights”.  I like that part.   This song is about how someone will carry a piece of her heart wherever they go.  Yeah, so buy the cassette and so shall you.

<2> “All I Want to Know” – This starts like Christmas for fucks sake.  Now it turned into piano pop and that’s much better.   This is slightly different than the first song and I like it.   But now that the chorus has kicked in, it sounds like something out of the National Lampoon Christmas Vacation soundtrack.  (For those who are unaware:  Christmas music is my musical kryptonite)  She sings “All I want to know is where this story goes” and I keep thinking it’s going to go into “All I want for Christmas is you”.   I really wish this song didn’t sound like Christmas, but luckily it fades out before the three minute mark.

<3> “Days I’ve Spent With You” – Now I have Christmas in my head and this is a cross between that and Grease for me.  “Your smile in June ended too soon / And then when winter comes / there will be no more sun /and any bells that ring”… I’m pretty sure this is a Christmas album now.   So is this about Christmas or not?  Am I just hearing it now?  Is it just stuck in my head like the smell of a skunk after you drive past it?  Am I just going crazy in my head overreacting?  Someone else must hear this too, right?  Tell me I’m not alone because if I’m alone I have to be locked up. 

<4> “We Will Have Our Day” – Well, this is pleasant, but I’m not sure whether or not it’s Christmas yet.  It’s a more upbeat tempo piano pop song.   The chorus to me has the structure of “He sees you when you’re sleeping / he knows when you’re awake”.  Dammit, why can’t I get Christmas out of my head now?   Now there’s a part that sounds like The Doors, but only for a second and then the second is gone.   Yeah, this is definitely out of the National Lampoon Christmas Vacation soundtrack as well.  Wow do I feel like someone played a joke on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment