Thursday, March 7, 2013

SBSR: Young Boys “New York Sun”

Young BoysNew York Sun
<1> “Fell From Grace” – “This year I tried to drop out of the race… I fell from grace” goes the chorus to this song.  It’s some fuzzy garage sounding punk rock.   It’s not necessarily catchy, but the chorus will get stuck in your head after a while.   It reminds me of The Babies in ways as well.   But yeah, after hearing this song so many times already I really do like it.   Around 3:45 there is a great distorted guitar line. 
<2> “High Tide” – For some reason this song reminds me of The Stooges more than anything else. 
<3> “It’s Alright” – Though they have male vocals, this song starts with an L7 guitar riff.  It’s got a Velvet Underground feel to it with the vocals.   “You’re a book, I’m a page you haven’t read” Nice line.  The vocals are dueling and almost kick into the chorus in a shoegaze way.    Now we’re getting into something that sounds like it could be organs but not.   This has a nice steady beat to it and I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t throw in a Doors comparison.    Near 3 minutes and it gets that choppy feedback sound. 
<4> “Love Hits 1” – We open like a Flock of Seagulls song.   And the vocals come in definitely sounding new wave as well.   This song definitely has an Oingo Boingo vibe to it.  
<5> “Ode to Me” – This is a faster rocking song that could be The Smiths only maybe not as dark.   Definite Oingo Boingo coming out again as well.    Now we get some nice video game sounds in here as well. 
<6> “New York Sun” – This song starts off a bit more psychedelic and slowly.   The vocals are getting into Aldous Snow territory.    He doesn’t want to die.    This song is quite long, despite its sort of faster paced punk rock feel, but it does have more of a new wave feel to it than the punk you’re probably think of when I say punk.    Wow, this song goes on for over eleven minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment