1) What do you want people to hear most when they hear your music?
1) The divinity within.
2) Having music on Band Camp, along with other such platforms in music right now such as Sound Cloud, Spotify and others, do you feel that music is moving into a virtual age? Personally, I fully support the idea of downloading songs for free from Band Camp and then if I like them buying them on vinyl.
2) There's no way around illegal downloads... and "legal" streaming (spotify/grooveshark/etc.) are just a half step away from giving away the music. The radio/riyl aspects of these sites are where the real benefits are. I'll throw on a radio station and hear something new and interesting almost every time. If you're a musician and want to give your art away for free... that's cool. It's not very easy for me to say that the time, money, and the emotional toll of creating these songs should just be given away... but I do understand why people do it.
Our first record was initially released for free. Not necessarily by choice, but because no one knew who we were and we wanted as many people to hear us as possible. Pretty logical right? Within the first week of release we were picked up by N5md. Without us putting it out for free, we may have never gotten a proper release on such a prestigious label.
As for alternatives to online distribution the CD format is a relatively inexpensive option for worldwide physical distribution (SOMETHING to touch), so I can see it sticking around a bit longer.
Vinyl is the ideal way to go (something BIG to touch) with download option, but mfg costs are the issue there. If you can move them it makes sense!
3) How important of a factor do you feel that record labels play in music these days when pretty much anyone can put their music on the internet as opposed to having to hand out demo tapes at shows, the distribution record labels can offer, etc. It just seems like it’s a bit easier these days to succeed as a band- and even build up a strong fan base- before a label possibly comes calling for you.
3) If you have someone behind you that's been doing this as long as Mike (n5MD) has, that believes in what your doing, and you're sitting on a roster of artists that you highly respect... it's a testament to your vision and dedication. It gives you a confidence that's difficult to achieve on your own as a "new" artist. N5md has turned us on to countless people around the world and that's exactly what we were looking to do.
All labels are different... but if you believe in the label you're on, and they believe in and support you (and you're not signing some insane contract) it's a win/win.
4) If you could tour with any single band or musician who would you pick and why?
4) Bjork. Because she's Bjork!
5) Who is your favorite New Kid on the Block?
6) Who would win in a musical fight: Jack Black or Jack White?
6). Jack White is the new blackjack.